Depression2.tv
Interactive

Rembering Ike

February 24, 2004

ike.jpg

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

Posted by manystrom at 07:41 PM | Comments (15)

Masters of War

February 14, 2004

masters.jpg

Masters of War - Bob Dylan

Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins

How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
Even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead

Posted by manystrom at 02:17 AM | Comments (17)

Dreamers

February 13, 2004

Kerry Lennon

Bush Mars

The Logical Song - Supertramp

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful, a miracle
oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily, joyfully
playfully watching me.
But then they sent me away to teach me how to be sensible, logical
responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable, clinical intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world's asleep
the questions run too deep
for such a simple mind.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
but please tell me who I am.

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, liberal
fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!

At night, when all the world's asleep,
the questions run so deep
for such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
but please tell me who I am.

Posted by manystrom at 10:20 PM | Comments (4)

Censure Bush for Misleading Us

February 12, 2004

bush1.jpg

In an attempt to evade responsibility for the misleading statements that pushed the nation into war, President Bush has announced plans to form an independent inquiry to look into what went wrong. An inquiry would serve the Bush administration well: it would envelop the issue in a fog of uncertainty, deflect blame onto the intelligence services, and delay any political damage until 2005, after the upcoming election.

But the facts need no clarification. Despite repeated warnings from the CIA and the Defense Intelligence Agency, President Bush and his administration hyped and distorted the threat that Iraq posed. And now that reality is setting in, the President wants to pin the blame on someone else. We can't let him.

Congress has the power to censure the President -- to formally reprimand him for betraying the nation's trust. If ever there was a time for this, it's now.

Do it.

Posted by manystrom at 12:05 AM | Comments (6)

How Will You Vote This November? The Facts!

February 08, 2004

Dear Readers,

Below is a suggested letter to the editor, to be addressed to all major media. Please take the time to read it, and if you agree, to help us distribute this letter that is designed to be sent to your local newspaper in an effort to inform the American populace of our dire debt and financial crisis.

Links to national newspapers are listed at the end. Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Bob Castle
Founding Member

Rich Lancaster | Michael Nystrom
www.depression2.tv

An informed electorate is essential for the survival of freedom. When a half trillion plus dollar budget deficit goes almost totally unreported - and the ostensible opposition party neglects to even mention it during the campaign - the access to information that makes democracy possible does not exist. The future has been stolen from the people of this country, yet even now most Americans have no idea of what has been done to them.

Is America Bankrupt? It’s a sobering thought. Is America really broke? The answer is clearly, YES, but living on borrowed time and money.

"The federal government on the eve of World War I was quite limited. In 1914, federal outlays totaled less than two percent of GNP. The top rate of the recently enacted federal individual income tax was seven percent on income over $500,000 (equivalent to about 10 times that amount in present day dollars), and 99 percent of the population owed no income tax. The 402,000 federal civilian employees, most of whom worked for the Post Office, made up about one percent of the labor force. Nor did the armed forces amount to much, numbering fewer than 166,000 active duty personnel. The federal government did not regulate securities markets, labor-management relations, or agricultural production. It set no minimum wage rate, collected no social security tax, provided no make-work jobs, or make believe job training for the unemployed. Although the feds did meddle in a few areas of economic life...the central government was for the most part, only a small nuisance. The government maintained the gold standard and suppressed labor disturbances that threatened to obstruct interstate commerce. The U.S. Supreme Court gave fairly strong protection to private property rights and freedom of contract, while generally insisting that state governments not deprive citizens of property rights without substantive due process. After World War I, the American people would never again enjoy a government which so closely approximated the Jeffersonian ideal." ---"The Costs of War: America's Pyrrhic Victories" Pg. 310

A recent study was done by Jagadeesh Gokhale and Kent Smetters which measures our government’s current debts and projected debts based on the proposed federal budget and revenues for 2004. By extending the numbers in constant 2003 dollars, they have come to the conclusion that the Federal government is officially insolvent to the tune of $43.5+ trillion and growing. You might ask, “Who are these guys?” Mr. Gokhale is the former Senior Economic Advisor to the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland and Mr. Smetters was recently on staff as the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Economic Policy. These fellas know what they are talking about! Additionally, the numbers they used are from the U.S. Department of Treasury.

“Let me describe the current $43.5 trillion shortfall another way. Instead of raising payroll taxes, suppose we eliminate half of the rest of the federal government in 2004 except for Social Security and Medicare. In particular, we eliminate half of the federal government’s spending on the military, homeland security, roads, education, veteran’s affairs, agriculture, labor affairs, NASA, commerce, law enforcement, Medicaid, etc. – everything except for Social Security and Medicare. And we do this not just in 2004 but forever. Also suppose that we don’t change federal taxes so that people continue to pay taxes as projected. Now, for example, the $150 billion deficit projected for 2004 would turn to a $600 billion surplus! That sounds like a lot of money. But we would still accumulate surpluses too slowly over time. In particular, we would still be left with a fiscal imbalance of about $3.2 trillion. In other words, "shutting down half of the rest of government forever is not enough to put the U.S. fiscal policy on a sustainable course.” –Testimony by Kent Smetters for the Subcommittee on the Constitution of The United States House of Representatives. Submitted on March 3, 2003

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising them the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over a louse fiscal responsibility, always followed by a dictatorship. The average of the world's great civilizations before they decline has been 200 years. These nations have progressed in this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependency; from dependency back again to bondage." --Alexander Tyler, in his 1770 book, “Cycle of Democracy”

Now, jobs are fleeing in a flight to safety, the average American pays over 65% in various taxes, and is regulated beyond the most virulent imaginings of a person living 80 years ago. Business is throttled and choked with regulations, and most of what we consume, is made, or even grown, somewhere else. The government is now similar to a totalitarian dictatorship, and grows stronger and more oppressive each day. Whether it will be Kerry or Bush, it will make no difference, as both are "insiders," inherited or married into wealth, and will exert every power they may seize to make the federal government ever more all encompassing. Our civilization has already existed several decades longer than the average of civilizations in past world history. Is it salvageable? Probably not! Can government be reduced? In history, governments never have been reduced. They have grown and grown until the entire nation collapsed. I know of no way to stop it...unfortunately.

Signed,

____________________________________
Your Name
“Without Prejudice” (UCC 1-207)
Your Address
Your City & State

____________________________________

Lets transmit this across America: "An informed electorate is essential for the survival of freedom"

Newspapers A thru L

Newspapers M thru R

Newspapers S thru Z

"In a corrupt society the truth can be found in what one is forbidden to say!"

Posted by manystrom at 04:51 PM | Comments (64)

The True Unemployment Rate - 10.9%

February 07, 2004

unemployment.gif

Special thanks to George Ure at Urban Survival for pointing out the truth about the unemployment statistics released last week. The link that George supplied is to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Table A-12. Alternative measures of labor underutilization

"Alternative measures of labor underutilization?" Hmm...What does it mean in English? Also known as the U-6 number, it is a more accurate measure of the nation's unemployment rate.

This page estimates the "total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers at 10.9%. What are "marginally attached workers?" According to the BLS, "marginally attached workers are persons who currently are neither working nor looking for work but indicate that they want and are available for a job and have looked for work sometime in the recent past. Discouraged workers, a subset of the marginally attached, have given a job-market related reason for not currently looking for a job. Persons employed part time for economic reasons are those who want and are available for full-time work but have had to settle for a part-time schedule. " Do you know anyone like that? They're not counted in the big, pretty headline number (Unemployment rate falls to 5.6%) that is reported on the six o'clock news. How come?

As we said, 'The second great depression will not be televised.'

If you've got some time on your hands, how about writing some of your journalist friends and ask why they consistenly ignore this number?

***
I just finished reading "Animal Farm" this weekend. It is a great refresher to remember how the govenment operates.

Posted by manystrom at 09:27 PM | Comments (53)

Full Moon - February 6th

February 06, 2004

fullmoon.jpg

Posted by manystrom at 08:06 PM | Comments (2)
Recent Entries